Sweet Sadie's Stuff

Another Life Changing Moment Called T1D

I just noticed that the last time I posted (before today) was only two days before my life changed once again.  It had already been a busy week with Chelsey leaving for her mission.  Then, Thursday, Amanda lost a close friend to the darkness of suicide that rocked our community.  If that wasn't enough, I was busy trying to prepare to vendor my first overnight crop that took place Friday and Saturday (March 8-9) and Sadie wasn't feeling well.

She had been "off" that week...not eating or sleeping well and somewhat fussy (this baby rarely fusses).  I could explain it a multitude of ways...growing, teething, the fact that I was busy and not my normal self....yet, on Thursday, I did mention it to the doctor when I took her in for immunizations and he assured me that "off" days were normal and not to worry.  He was right...but NOT at all.

On Friday, her fussing became worse.  I started working the crop and Greg was watching Sadie and kept calling me because he couldn't settle her down.  This was unusual because she is such a daddy's girl and loves to be with him, so I just thought he was being tired and impatient.  Really?  I was working!  I take care of her so he can work, why can't he do the same for me? It's not like I work away from home very often.  UGH!  As the night progressed, his calls became more urgent and frequent.  I decided to pack it up for the night and go home.  Sadie finally settled and we all slept through the night.

The next day, I went back to the crop but Sadie wasn't any better.  Greg brought her by early afternoon and she looked terrible. You could tell she was exhausted but wouldn't sleep or eat.  We decided that Greg would take her to the doctor just to see if there was something that could help her.  The next thing I knew is Greg is calling me and very incoherent about her status.  All I knew is that he was telling me I needed to meet him at the hospital...but he wasn't sure which hospital. Did I have time to break down my booth?  NO!!!  I had to come immediately.  WHAT????  What was going on????  He kept hanging up and calling me with bits of info but he was a confused crazy man.  So, I told Amanda and Kaitlyn (my superstar assistants) to start packing up and I would find someone to pick them up and my stuff.

Oh...and did I mention I was in the middle of a class that I had to abandon? No worries, the girls were amazing and took over for me without a hiccup.  On my way out, I realized I didn't know where I was going, so I sat in the foyer and started making calls to find someone who could get the girls.  No luck. Finally, Greg called and said he was at the American Fork hospital. Finally, something I could work with and I was off.

The next three days were a blur.  Let me explain what happened...even I didn't get the whole story until the next day.  So, Saturday afternoon, Greg took Sadie into the doctor. The nurse practitioner on duty did the usual checks and found nothing wrong.  It was a bug and there was nothing that could be done so she told him to take her home and let it pass.  Being the papa bear that he is, he refused to leave. The conversation went something like this...

"Something is wrong with my baby and I'm not leaving till you figure it out!"

"Sir, there's nothing I can do.  Babies fuss."

"Not this one."

"Well, you have to give me something else to work with."

"How about this...shes' had 5 full diapers in 3 hours and won't take a bottle."

He could see a light bulb go off and she tested her glucose levels and it was off the charts.  With tears in her eyes she apologized for trying to send him home and told him that Sadie had Type 1 diabetes and that she had to get to Primary Children's Hospital (which is an hour away) right away.  She called for an ambulance and called PCM to let them know we were coming.

While she was on the phone, Sadie's eyes rolled back into her head and she went limp.  Greg screamed down the hall for the nurse.  The ambulance was only 5 minutes away but wouldn't get there in time.  Sadie was slipping into a coma.  With no time to spare, he threw her in her car seat and drove her two blocks to the local emergency room.  They met him at the entrance, grabbed her and proceeded to stabilize her.

Turns out her glucose was dangerously high at 898 (normal is 80-120) and her body was filled with dangerous toxins that were eating away at her insides and killing her (Diabetic ketoacidosis). The ER Doc told Greg that if he had taken her home, we would have thought she was sleeping and she would have died within an hour or two.
This is when I got there.

She was crying, but conscious (I didn't find out about her going unconscious till the next day). They stabilized her and transported her to PCM by ambulance.

There, I stayed for the next three days learning more than I ever wanted to know about carb counting and insulin shots and blood testing.

I'm so proud of Greg for standing up and listening to his gut.  I baffle that he even thought to mention diapers.  Not that he won't change a diaper, but he really doesn't change that many so I have no idea how he would know that was out of the ordinary.  I have guilt that I didn't catch that. I asked him later what made him think to tell the nurse about her diapers.  He had no clue...it just came to him.  I call that inspiration from God and a down right tender mercy!...Don't you? Good job Papa for listening!!!

Looking back, I should have seen it.  For the previous week, she had been drinking one bottle after another, but I thought she was growing and since she's not eating a ton of solid food, it made sense.  And since she was drinking a lot, it made sense that she peed a lot.  In fact, I had been using cloth diapers but they kept leaking.  I thought it was the diapers. That morning, I had changed her overnight diaper and it looked like someone dipped her in a pool.  It was that full!  But I had no clue.  I didn't know the signs or anything about diabetes. I do now!

So now, this is our life. It's a cruel irony to make the needle-phobic girl who in 9th grade cried and had to go to the nurse that day in biology when you prick your finger to test your blood give her baby shots.  I have always been so needle-phobic my whole life and now this is my strengthening moment. I am proud to say that I put my big girl panties on and can now give a shot without making the "ugly face". 

Here are some pics of our crazy journey. These aren't the best quality as they are cell phone pics, but oh well...you know I will be scrapping them anyway.

Arriving to the ER at PMC

Getting settled into our room.

Finally, her BG is down and she can have ice chips.  She made those moaning sounds you make when you are REALLY enjoying your meal. 
Feeling better and resting.

Her first bottle in a long time. She gulped it down!

Hanging with dad. He's our HERO!!!

Feeling good enough to play with some toys in her bed.
They brought in a mat for her.  She loved to sit at the door and wave to all the nurses passing by.
Speaking of nurses...our favorite NICU nurse stopped by.  I know Sadie remembered her because after a couple of days of getting poked and prodded, she really didn't want anyone touching her...but not Lynette!  She crawled right over to her and cuddled up.  It was an amazing moment.
I was framed, I tell ya!  Framed!!!
Hey!  I don't know how to carb count leads! Silly girl...just munching away.

One of Sadie's favorite things to do was to ride around the hospital in a wagon.  I was especially grateful for our nurse who took her for a ride at 4:30 am so I could finally sleep.  The first couple of nights there were pretty rough to say it mildly.
Going home!
I want to add a couple more pics to show you that things are back to "normal" and we are doing fabulous.  I have a lot to learn still and a whole new lingo to embrace.  There will be lots of challenges, but I can't help but be grateful for all of the tender mercies God has bestowed on us. We have our Sadie and she is AMAZING!!!!

Exploring her world just like a "normal" baby and keeping me busy!

Thanks everyone!  LOVE YOU!!!


I decided to do a pinwheel theme. What does that have to do with her dx story??? Hang in there with me...the journaling reads:

"Pinwheels are a duality of fragility and strength. They stand tall and firm, yet their greatest beauty comes in the moments when they face the most powerful forces. The amount of opposition they can take is amazing but even more amazing is how they thrive.  The pinwheel is a powerful reminder that no matter how small and fragile we appear, we can withstand the mighty forces set to destroy us and in that moment is when we gain the most strength and show the true beauty and power within."

Get it? Deep, huh.  I surprise myself sometimes.

Here's the full layout:

Close up of each page:

A pocket with hidden journaling and photos.


One side tells our pinwheel story:

The other side has more photos:

A few other details:


  1. WOW! What an AMAZING DX story! Glad she is OK! We had a similar experience with a nurse at the time of my daughter's DX. If you want to read, www.type1together.com - and there is a link to our diagnosis story in the current blog post!

  2. Wow that is an amazing story! I'm so glad she's ok. Definitely tender mercies and miracles from God.

  3. Hugs and more hugs. So glad to see her pictures too! What a bunny bug she is! Our dx story is a lot like this. So glad he mentioned the diapers.

  4. The start of this story was terrifying... just terrifying! (And I say that as someone who is reading it, not living it). But those beautiful pictures at the end helped calm my nerves. Thank you for telling this.

    And Greg ... man, you're a hero.